Some people will tell you that it is impossible to motivate others unless they can motivate themselves. In some cases, they could be right BUT being able to help someone to motivate themselves is one of the best skills you can learn when starting up a social enterprise and especially when going into leadership roles. Being able to motivate people is key to your success because no one achieve anything alone. We all need the help of others. SO, the big question is how can you do it!!
Here are 7 ways to motivate others:
- Listen – Most people start by trying to motivate someone by talking to them in great length about how they can help them but the most effective way is to listen. Find out what their goal is.
- Always ask open ended questions – These can be: What have you always wanted to do? Why do you want to do that? What makes you so excited about it?
- Encourage – This is the most important step. Always encourage them and be supportive
- Ask them how they will start – After you have encouraged them find out how they will start. It is important to let them figure it out so they will be committed to the process.
- Dream – This is really fun as you can let them dream of their success and what they can achieve
- Ask how you can help – Most of the time others won`t need anything from you, but it`s always good to offer
- Follow up – Every so often ask them how their goal is going.
Remember it`s good to talk!!!