In order to acquire and develop communication skills, it is necessary to pose as clearly and concisely as possible the personal situation from which the speaker starts. Knowing the starting point helps to identify the priority aspects to be addressed.
The starting point or personal initial scenario is conditioned by:
- The characteristics of people who seek to improve their communication skills. For example, the fact of being more or less extroverted or having more or less skills in language management is personal aspects to take into account.
- The context in which the person develops determines the type of interracciones social and communicative experiences.
- Personal objectives determine the itinerary of communication development. Depending on what you want to achieve, one or the other actions will be initiated.
- The degree of motivation of the person conducive and conditions the amount of “gasoline” for learning.
The starting point integrates three major blocks:
- Knowledge; This block integrates previous experiences and acquired theoretical knowledge.
- Skills; Skills in the practical handling of everything learned theoretically.
- Emotions; Proper management of own and others’ emotions.
- Expectations; stablished goals.
To make an approximation or sketch of the current situation, the following exercise is recommended.
In the case of not knowing any theoretical concept about which the questionnaire is asked, it is advisable to investigate the meaning of the term. Throughout the training, one of the proposed items will be worked on. The fact of numerically scoring each item helps to identify and specify relevant communicational aspects that should be worked on as a priority.